Friday, July 13, 2007

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE

I noticed the following item from the Red Sox notebook in today's Globe that was stuck at the bottom amidst a series of periods:
Here’s one reason the Sox are not dismissive about Daisuke Matsuzaka’s concern for privacy. General manager Theo Epstein’s car has been vandalized and obscenities were spray-painted on his condo, along with an admonition not to trade Ramírez .
There has been much talk recently about how the City of Boston has been historically an unfriendly place for African-Americans, and whether or not that is still the case. As a white person living in Philadelphia, I have no idea. I certainly hope this behavior has gone the way of the dodo.

But on par with racism is this terrorism that the Red Sox General Manager has been subjected to. Yes, I said "terrorism" because thats what this is. This is completely unacceptable behavior on numerous levels, first and foremost being that you don't do this to another human being, followed closely by its against the law.

Somewhere farther down the list are the repercussions that actions like this can have on the team. The team on the field is put together by incredibly smart and dedicated individuals. This is why the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, its why they won the Wild Card in 2003, 2004, and 2005, and its why the have the best record in baseball in 2007. This type of success does not come about for no reason, but it can end and end quickly. If I were Theo Epstein I wouldn't put up with this. I wouldn't subject my wife and family to behavior anywhere close to this. This, friends, is grounds for the best GM in the history of the Red Sox to walk right out the door. If it were me, I'd certainly consider it.

I hope they find the idiot who did that to Theo's home, and I hope they prosecute whomever it is to the fullest extent of the law. There is no room in fandom for actions like this. None.

No comments: