Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Accidental Suicide or Alls Wells that Ends Wells

I didn’t catch much of the Sox/O's game last night. I was on my way back from my girlfriend's apartment in West Philadelphia to my apartment in Old City. The two are separated by about city 45 blocks, so the best way to get back and forth is by subway. Philly's subway isn't great, it’s a bit dirty, and its far from comprehensive in terms of city coverage, but if you live close to it as I do then its pretty convenient.

I had walked from my girlfriend's place to the Subway stop at 40th and Market. My place is at 2nd and Market, so it usually takes about fifteen minutes to get to my apartment once I board the train. So, I was waiting in the station for the train for about 15 minutes before the train came. As it was pulling up I noticed that everyone on the train was getting up. 40th street isn't the stop everyone usually gets out at, so this was a very strange thing, and I mean everyone on that train was getting up to get off the train. As the doors opened and people began to flood off the train, some subway employee began broadcasting over the intercom. This person said that train service was being discontinued because someone had just thrown themselves in front of an oncoming subway train one station down. This morning I found this on Philly.com:

Posted on Thu, Apr. 21, 2005
Man stable after falling between SEPTA train cars

A man fell between two cars on a SEPTA train last night in West Philadelphia, disrupting train service for about 45 minutes. Police said the man, who was not identified, fell between the cars in the westbound tracks of the El at 30th and Market Streets about 9 p.m. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was listed in stable condition. Trains began running again about 9:45 p.m.


So, my question is twofold: 1) why would they announce something as gruesome as someone jumping in front of a subway train over the loudspeaker in a train station, and 2) why would they announce something like that if it isn't true? I don't have the answers to these questions, but I'd sure like to ask someone.

So, when I finally made it back to my apartment and flicked on the game (love that MLB Extra Innings!) the Sox were up 8-0 and Wells was finishing off the O's in the 8th. I wouldn't expect this type of performance from him every time out, but it was good to see him do well in a Sox uniform against a team that not only isn't Tampa, but has a real Major League lineup that can hit homers and everything.

Wells allowed three hits over his eight innings of work, walking only one. Thems good results right there. Since I didn't get to see the game I don't know how much of Wells results last night was attributable to the Sox defense, but from reading the Boston Globe's account of the game it sounds like Wells had 'it' from the beginning.

This is good news. Things always look rosier after a win, especially a win like this, but the Sox rotation looks like its starting to round into form. Next step: the bullpen.

I'm going to catch the Sox in Baltimore tonight. I'll check back in tomorrow with a report on the game.

No comments: