Friday, December 21, 2007

NOTHING TO REPORT & '07 BOX SET REVIEW

Its been a little while, but I'm back.

I've been working at a new job, and as I wrote before its an hour away from home which means 2 hours are spent commenting every day. That is time that I would normally be devoting, at least in part, to FPE. But thems the breaks, right? Maintain your dumb baseball blog or accept a good job.... hmmm... (still thinking)...

Nothing to Report

The other reason I haven't posted too much recently is that there hasn't been a whole lot to post about. Sure there have been rumors up the wazoo, but not much concrete has happened. Ellsbury and Lester are still Red Sox, Francona is still going into the last year of his deal, and A-Rod is still a Yankee, despite Scott Boras's best attempts.

The Santana situation may heat up again sometime in the near future, but nothing seems to be going on now. Many people seem to think that the Twins won't go into the '08 season with Santana on their team simply because that could limit what they get in trade for him. Personally, I don't see the harm in it. If they don't get the value in trade that equals 1 year of Santana, negotiating rights, and two first round draft picks then they'd be stupid to deal him. Truth be told, they may be stupid to deal him anyway, but at least they could justify it.

Hank Steinbrenner Is An Idiot

In other news, Hank Steinbrenner is an idiot. The apple didn't fall far from the tree with this one. A while back I wrote that when George is gone I'm going to miss him - not because I like him, but because he's so easy to dislike. But now that his idiot son is attempting to bring back the gory days of the 70's (yes, gory) with his buffoonery, I'm less likely to miss the original. Still, this has the ability to be fun for Red Sox fans, and in truth, really any non-Yankees fan. Steinbrenner may be an idiot, but it seems his brand of idiocy is at least an entertaining one.

2007 Red Sox World Series DVD Mini-Review

In still other news, I finally received my 2007 Red Sox World Series DVD box set. Its great to have and I've enjoyed watching it, except for one thing: the games are edited. The 2004 Red Sox World Series DVD box set contains the unedited broadcasts of each ALCS and World Series game. No commercials, but other than that its exactly as if you were watching it on TV. The 2007 version is different. Someone at MLB must have decided that the games were too long, so their solution was to cut out some 'unimportant' parts in between at-bats.

This may save some time, but the effect is jarring. One minute you'll see Lugo pop up to shortstop, and the very next second Pedroia is standing in the batters box about to face his first pitch. It destroys the continuity, and makes following the announcers trains of thought very difficult in spots. No comments on Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, but its actually even more difficult to follow what they are saying when one of these 'edits' takes place.

Other than that, watching each game in its (mostly) entirety is a lot of fun. All the stress is removed because you know the Sox are going to win (and isn't that a great feeling?) so you can just sit back, relax and enjoy the baseball. Its a great buy and I recommend it for any true Red Sox fan's DVD library.

As for my off-season plans, I am planning on finishing my 2007 retrospective, I'll be taking a look at the Red Sox off season and checking on their potential for 2008. I'll be posting these during the off season.

Happy Holidays
In any case, a happy holidays to you all. Check back periodically for more fabulousness, and as always, thanks for reading.

No comments: